Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Thorns & Thoughts

Nothing qualifies me to maintain a blog about the Bachelor & Bachelorette.  I haven't watched from the beginning of time and I do not personally know any of the contestants.  However, I started watching this crazy show when Ali was the lead for a variety of reasons and now I am hooked.  I do think it is funny how in 3 short years, personal information about each contestant surfaces earlier and earlier.  I'm talking about last names, hometowns, high school and college activities etc.  I blame Twitter, which I LOVE and Facebook which I could do without and barely use.  Moving on...

If I were to join the staff of ABC, I'd make some changes.  Of course, the changes I'd make would lead to few if any viewers so I'll stick with my job and let them do theirs.  However, I'd change a few things.

Dates:
Sure, being picked up in a limo/sports car, taking a helicopter/jet to an exotic destination, shopping/eating in a 'closed to everyone else' venue etc. is great but it isn't real life.  It's setting the bar high and I think too many people are interested in the date, not the lead.  I'd want my dates to be real with a sprinkle of excitement for not only he and I but the viewers as well.  We'd go to a football/basketball/baseball game but instead of sitting in the nosebleed section, we'd be centerfield, half court, behind home plate.  We'd also get VIP all access passes...because let's face it...we have to have some special privilege!

Food:
If you can't pronounce it, you probably shouldn't eat it.  We see food on plates and not really ever on the fork.  I'd ask to have a 'quick&clean" sampling of dinner and start filming.  I agree, no one wants to or should eat on tv...but smelling a steak/chicken and red velvet cake/chocolate chip cookie and not eating it is just crazy!

Flowers:
Men would hand out gerber daisies or daffodils or carnations or sunflowers.  Roses stink and die quickly.  They are also overpriced.
Women would hand out encouraging words.  Really, I'm still working on this one.  I joke about handing out chocolate chip cookies.  The way to a guys heart is through his stomach but also, how many guys want to save a rosebud?

Favorite Phrases:
"Blank, this is the final rose" "Blank, here are the rules on how dates and date cards work"  By now....who doesn't know what to do when one rose remains?  Chris Harrison has the easiest job in the world!

So, I'd change a few things but let's also note how and why I started watching this glorious bit of MOnday night entertainment!

During Ali's season I started to watch the show because a girl from my hometown posted that her husband's coworker was on the show.  Funny, Roberto ended up "winning".  I really liked Chris L.

Brad's season I watched because Emily Maynard was on it and she lives in Charlotte so I wanted to see what they'd show of Charlotte.  I also decided that since I watched 1 girl go for 25 guys, I should see if 1 guy picking from 25 girls was just as crazy.  It was nuts!

Ashley H now R (since she and JP tied the knot) I wasn't really an Ashley H fan but I watched anyway because why not?  It was fun to laugh at the drama.

Ben.  Well, Ben was a fun one to watch and let's be real, he owns a winery and should just call it "Bachelor Blends"  Courtney was evil and I wonder whatever happened to sweet Lindzi?

Emily. Oh Emily!  Not only did I watch the entire season and become way too invested in a reality tv show, but I, along with 2 of my friends, attending the FIRST one on one date of the season!  That's right!  We stood outside, in the rain, for over 3 hours waiting for Em &Ryan to finish dinner and come outside to enjoy a Gloriana concert.  It was pretty awesome and we had some great screen time.  Looking back, the guys stayed pretty close to where I lived so instead of waiting outside for hours, we should've gone to visit the guys!

Sean.  He's America's Bachelor.  How can you not watch?  I think his name alone speaks for itself.  Sean Lowe. God. Family.Friends. Food. Football.

Let the AMAZING JOURNEY begin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment